Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Big Runner and The Little Runner!

The story of Julie Weiss isn't a new one. I was just late to the party.

A few months ago I came across the story of the Marathon Goddess, Julie Weiss. Hers is the inspirational story of a person determined to make a difference. For those of you who don’t know, Julie’s story started with the loss of her father.  

If you haven't heard her inspirational story, please take the time to watch the short YouTube video below (also be sure to follow her YouTube channel and watch the videos she's uploaded):



Not only did she complete the challenging task of running 52 marathons during the year span she'd allotted for herself, but she was able to raise over $180,000 in the process. 

Though her 52 marathon project ended with the completion of the LA Marathon in March 2013, she's maintained her pace and continued making an impact in the fight against pancreatic cancer. It's a shame I found out about it as she was wrapping her project up. I would have made the trip to my home town to see her cross the finish line on her epic 52nd marathon run. 

Even though she successfully completed this impossible endeavor, she's refused to rest on her laurels, and continued to push herself to do more, because there is always more to do when it comes to making this world a better place. She now has the goal of raising one million dollars to fund research for a cure to end pancreatic cancer once and for all.

Hers is truly an inspiring story. In the face of injury, obstacles, and fatigue she prevailed and conquered the marathon, a feat which (legend has it) killed the man, whose original run inspired the modern athletic event. She did this not once, but 52 times. Not only is she alive and kicking, she's still running, and serving as a role-model to those who are also driven to make a change.

One such person that has taken Julie's example to heart is a little girl, who can't be more than 10 years old by the looks of this picture off one of Julie's Facebook posts:


Julie and Avery stand in the Marathon Goddess pose at the PurpleStride LA event!
One 5k a month?? If this little girl can do it, what's stopping me?

I don't know who this little girl is, save for the name given to her by Julie on this post this last Sunday, but I find inspiration in the fact that someone so young can have the inclination to help. 

Avery is my hero! I wish her the best in her project and hope she reaches her goal successfully! To Avery's parents, we need more parents like you guys in this world! You've raised a magnificent little girl who is a part of a movement of selfless individuals that is changing our world for the better! 

I've got a 5k to look forward to in July, but little Avery has motivated me to start hunting and look for more opportunities to combine my fitness goals with my love for getting involved. Don't worry everyone, I'll train more carefully so that I don't bust like I did for my marathon training. 

I've linked up a thumbnail of the Color Me Rad 5k I'll be running in Saint Louis, July 28.

I encourage you to get involved. You don't have to commit to a years worth of fitness endeavors like Avery or Julie, but maybe volunteering at one of these events near you would be a place to start. The amount of events held yearly throughout the US is staggering. 

To learn more about how you can help the Marathon Goddess, Julie Weiss, in her fight against pancreatic cancer (and also read her blog about her 52 marathon journey), hit the link below:

http://www.marathongoddess.com


To learn about the organization Julie is working with, the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, visit: 

http://www.pancan.org


To learn about the PurpleStride events nationwide hit the link:

http://www.purplestride.org

I hope to bump into you ladies on one of my runs! Keep up the good work, and thank you for the inspiration! 




     

No comments:

Post a Comment